Long distance moving, also known as interstate moving, is a complex process and we recommend to follow our checklist so that your experience can be smooth from start to finish. We’ve put together a timeframe from when you should take certain steps so that there are no unexpected problems during your move. Follow this long distance moving checklist to successfully relate yourself and your loved ones!
4 WEEKS OUT
- Find the right moving company to complete your relocation.
- Create a complete inventory of your items under the guidance of the moving company of your choosing.
- Begin cleaning your house and preparing it for the big moving day.
- Keep a “TO DO” list around to stay organized and prioritized on the tasks at hand.
- Begin planning all of your travel arrangements.
- Have a garage sale to get rid of unwanted items. Consider a donation for those in need.
- Get a change of address from USPS. You can also do all this online from the comfort of home.
2 WEEKS OUT
- Discuss storage options with your long distance moving company if you need such services.
- Begin packing in full swing!
- Label your boxes as you pack. It’s important to stay organized for inventory related purposes.
- Schedule the disconnection of all of your utilities along with any other services you may receive.
- Book and finalize your travel arrangements.
- Switch over your medication refills to your new location.
- Update everyone regarding your address change!
- Continue to update your inventory list with your long distance moving company
- Confirm the pickup schedule for all of your items
- Make sure you’ve packed and labeled everything correctly for inventory purposes
- Go over your “TO DO” list. It’s important not to miss anything that needs to be done before the big moving day.
DAY BEFORE MOVE
- Clean the fridge and freezer.
- Have all the needed cash on hand for your move.
- Have all travel arrangements and reservations on your person.
- Ensure you have everything that’s needed to begin your relocation.
- Say goodbye to friends and neighbors in the area.
DAY OF PICK UP
- Check that all valuables are safe and secure for the duration of the relocation.
- Have your payment arrangements ready for the movers.
- Be available if the movers needed to contact you.
- Be available to oversee the loading process for all of your belongings.
- Go over your inventory to make sure that nothing is left behind in the move.
- Exchange your contact information with the drivers and movers so you can get in touch with each other easily if any issues arise.
An interstate move can be stressful, but with a long distance moving checklist, you’ll stay well prepared and informed throughout the process. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our moving specialists at (888) 254-3494 and we will be glad to answer them.